For illustation, we were asked to list five verbal metaphors from music, literature, or film. For each metaphor, we have to identify the target, source, ground, tension, and what aesthetic, emotional, or conceptual effect the metaphor lends to the statement that a simple recitation of the facts would not convey.
1. “And I can’t help but ask myself how much I’ll let the fear
take the wheel and steer.”-Drive by Incubus
(target)himself. (source)fear (tension)he is being controlled by his fear and society (effect)he’s lived his life the way society has dictated through fear. Now he’s seen that, by taking his life into his own hands, he can open his mind to what he needs to be. Even if it means sacrificing the benefits of being one of the “hive”.
2. ” The chemistry between liars like you and me ignites like gasoline.” –Photographs and Gasoline by Framing Hanley
(target) chemistry (source) relationship between man and women (tension) both are lying and committing adultery. (effect) the fact that they are both the same and are constantly lying and committing infidelity is causing tension within couple. So over all the relationship is just useless.
3. ” I need a big loan from the girl zone.”-Caught a Lite Sneeze by Tori Amos
(target) loan (source) the women/girl (tension) she is asking/needing help (effect)the song is about wanting to do anything to keep a relationship going, knowing that it’s over, knowing that it’s slipping through the hands.
4. “Two roads diverged in a wood, and I– I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference.”-The Road Not Taken by Robert Frost
(target) the roads (source) traveler (tension) the traveler has to make a decision (effect) the poem is saying be willing to be different and take the path that is less taken.
5. “Oil that tastes like blood stole the summer scent” -Jars by Chevelle
(target)oil (source)taste like blood (tension) I feel like it’s talking about the war due the reference “oil taste like blood” (effect) the songs is about war and our situation worldwide as a country and also about the government issuing self control.